Carrot Oil for Hair and Skin
Many of us have not even heard of carrot oil. Carrots yield amazing benefits for the eyes and are power-packed with Vitamin A. But carrot oil for the hair and skin?
It sounds strange but is true. The discovery of this mighty oil happened when people realized that carrot oil gave amazing results when applied on skin and hair.
Let's read on further to know more about carrot oil:
How is Carrot Oil Procured?
To procure carrot oil, the dried seeds of carrots undergo steam distillation and the oil that is obtained in its purest form. This procured oil is orange in color and it works wonders for the hair and skin. A little oil can be applied for a huge lot of benefits. Carrot oil has antibacterial properties and healing properties. Carrot oil infuses a lot of moisture into the skin, hair, and scalp. It can be mixed with other oils or applied alone.
Carrot oil's best property is that it can lubricate the outer layer of the skin thereby restoring the moisture loss and forming a protective layer. Many companies producing moisturizers using carrot oil in their lotions because of its hydrating quality. There are many organic carrot oils available in the market. Such organic oils are made with carrots grown in an organic way. This oil can be a little costly and you can easily make it at home with your own organic ingredients.
Carrot oil can be made at home in an easy DIY task:
* Wash and peel the carrots
*Grate the carrots with a grater or in a food processor. Do not blend in the mixie as that will give a carrot pulp.
* Put the grated carrot in a crock pot and pour the pot with any preferable oil ( coconut, almond, olive, etc.)
* Set the temperature of the crock pot to the lowest.
* Infuse some heat into the oil for up to 3 days, maintaining the temperature at about 100 to 105 degrees Fahrenheit.
* Once you notice that the oil has changed its color to orange, strain the mixture through a mesh strainer.
* Keep the oil and throw away the carrots.
* Store this oil in an air-tight container. You can use it for up to eight months.
This way, you can prepare your own carrot oil hygienically at home. Carrot oil is found in two forms: one is an oil procured from carrot seeds and another one is a carrot root oil.
Carrot oil procured from the seeds is considered to be the most potent one. It is very rich in nutrients. The carrot root oil is made from carrot roots and peels. It is often used as a carrier oil.
Benefits of Carrot Oil
There are plenty of benefits of using carrot oil. Some of them are listed below:
* Carrot oil is helpful in the treatment of various types of cancer. Carrot oil has antioxidant properties that help to fight the cancers of the mouth, kidneys and stomach.
* Carrot oil has various antiseptic and antiviral properties that help to fight infections.
* Carrot oil is extremely beneficial in the treatment of sores, ulcers, and many such stomach ailments.
* Carrot oil works as a stimulant boosting metabolic functions and circulation. It also stimulates the production of hormones and enzymes. Carrot oil stimulates the functions of the nerves and brains making the person more active.
* Carrot oil acts as an excellent detoxifier cleansing the tissues, blood and other internal organs.
* It helps fight rheumatism and arthritis. It is used extensively in aromatherapy because it acts like a soothing agent and relieves stress. It can relieve muscle and joint aches.
* It improves the eyesight.
* Carrot oil contains essential anti-oxidants that help to moisturize the skin and scalp. These antioxidants also help to fight off the free radicals which pose a great danger to the skin and causes premature aging.
* Carrot oil contains optimum levels of Vitamin C, E and A which help in slowing down the process of aging.
* Carrot oil is rich in beta-carotene which is very beneficial to the skin and hair. Carrot oil has a plethora of benefits on the hair which we will read about in detail down below.
Benefits of Carrot Oil on Hair
Carrot oil has vitamin A and E in abundance. It prevents hair loss and also promotes new hair growth. Regular application of carrot oil in hair also retains the new hair growth. Your hair will look shinier than before. Carrot oil forms a protective layer on each hair strand preventing moisture loss.
Carrot oil improves the circulation of blood in the scalp and strengthens the hair roots. Carrot oil also protects the hair and scalp from pollution and harmful UV rays of the sunlight.
Deficiency of vitamin A contributes to hair loss. Vitamin A helps in sebum production. This sebum leads to faster and healthier hair growth. Carrots also have nutrients like vitamin K, C, B6, B1, B2, B3, potassium, fiber, and phosphorus. These nutrients delay the process of aging and make the hair healthier and shinier. Regular consumption of carrots prevents the premature greying of your hair.
There are some DIY recipes of carrot oil that will protect your hair and scalp and provide nourishment to your hair roots:
This therapeutic hair mask will provide scalp and hair nourishment. You need to peel a banana and carrot and dice them into little pieces. Add the pieces in some olive oil. Mix this solution with a little curd and churn the entire mixture in a mixer to make a paste. Apply this paste into your hair starting from the roots and working down the length of your hair. You need to leave it for 30 minutes. Later rinse it off and follow with a shampoo. If regularly applied, this mixture will promote hair growth and prevent hair damage.
You can even add other tried and tested ingredients which do wonders for the hair such as avocado, honey, a dash of vinegar or eggs in this hair mask.
Carrot oil can be used as a hair conditioner too. Heat 1/2 a cup of carrot oil and gently massage the warm oil into your hair. After the oil massage, apply a moisturizing conditioner on your hair on top of the oil treatment. Wear a shower cap and leave it on 30 minutes. Rinse off later with a mild shampoo.
Carrot oil can be used as a pre-shampoo. For this pre-shampoo treatment, get some carrots and dice them into small pieces. Put the pieces into an oil of your preference such as coconut oil or olive oil. Now heat the mixture for 5 minutes. Add some curd once it cools and make a paste. Massage this paste into your hair gently and leave it on for 30 minutes. Later, rinse it off with a mild shampoo. This pre-shampoo treatment stimulates the natural growth of your hair and renders your hair shiny and soft.
Hair Strengthening Mask
Boil half a cup of carrot oil and massage the warm oil into your hair. Continue massaging in circular motions for 15 minutes. Cover the hair with a shower cap and wait for 30 minutes. Rinse off later with a mild shampoo. Repeat this treatment regularly to enhance the natural beauty of your hair.
You can even add a tablespoon of carrot oil to freshly brewed tea. On applying this tea mixture to your hair, you can boost the growth of your hair naturally and stop hair breakage.
Benefits of Carrot Oil on Skin
Carrot oil renders the skin looking soft and supple. It forms a protective coating on the outer surface of the skin moisturizing it. Carrot oil has unique anti-aging properties that delay the process of aging. It prevents wrinkles and makes you look younger.
The secret ingredient found in carrot seeds called 'caratol' helps in skin rejuvenation. It restores the skin and eliminates infected skin tissues such as psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis by stimulating new and healthy skin growth.
People who have dry or oily skin can use carrot oil to hydrate their skin. The moisture given by carrot oil does not clog the pores and is just enough to keep them looking soft and supple.
A Word of Caution
Although the benefits are plenty, there is also some caution you need to take while using carrot oil:
* Pregnant woman should refrain from using carrot oil as it could be very unhealthy for the mother and unborn child.
* Pregnant women suffering from asthma and epilepsy should never use carrot oil.
* Excessive use could lead to concussions and vomiting.
* It is best to use it with coconut oil or any other carrier oil.
* After application of carrot oil, one should stay indoors for 2 to 3 days so as not to expose the skin.
* Always do a skin patch test first to see if any skin irritations crop up. If your skin remains clear, it means that carrot oil suits you.
These above-mentioned words of caution prevent us from the possible risks of using carrot oil.
A carrot oil massage is one of the most natural ways of preventing hair breakage and boosting hair growth. This natural wonder is slowly gaining popularity in the hair industry. Use carrot oil regularly to protect your beloved tresses. And no, it will not turn your hair orange! Contrary to the popular myth, carrot oil does not change the color of your hair but only boosts its natural color and shine. A bottle of carrot oil could reap a plethora of benefits for your skin and hair.