- What Is Waxing?
- Note These Before Waxing Your Bikini Area
- Bikini Area Waxing: Alternatives
- Waxing The Bikini Area: Some Useful Tips
- Bikini Area Waxing: Dealing With Self-Consciousness
- Bikini Area Waxing : The Different Types
- Bikini Area Waxing: How It Is Done
- Bikini Area Waxing: The Embarrassing Moments
- Bikini Area Waxing: Aftercare
- Bikini Area Waxing - Conclusion
What Is Waxing?
There are different ways of getting rid of unwanted hair on the body each with its own merits and demerits. Some methods are multipurpose while some can only be used on a particular body part. Shaving and waxing are arguably the most common of the several hair removal methods available.
Shaving requires that hairs are cut very close to the skin's surface with the use of a razor, and it is among the hair removal methods that can be used practically on any body part. It is relatively painless and undoubtedly cheap. But then, if not done properly, shaving can lead to ingrown hairs aside the fact that it doesn't last long.
Waxing, on the other hand, is a hair removal method that gets rid of hair from the root with the use of wax and sometimes strips. Just like shaving, waxing can be done on almost all body parts. There are waxing strips made available so that you can perform the procedure at home by yourself. But in reality, certain body parts such as the bikini area may require that you visit a salon before you can effectively wax it.
The main advantage of waxing is that it takes some appreciable time before the hair starts growing back. If done well, a single waxing can last up to two months before a need for another one arises. But, ouch! Waxing can be painful. You'll be uprooting the hairs from their roots, and although most online publications and even salons would make you feel that the pain is just a second thing, you may find yourself swearing uncontrollably if you are a virgin in waxing.
That aside, waxing is a bit expensive when compared to shaving; and like it has earlier been mentioned, not all body parts can be waxed at home. In some cases, you would need help. The crux of this article, however, is to intimate you on what to expect when you opt for waxing as the hair removal method of your choice for your bikini area.
Note These Before Waxing Your Bikini Area
For some, it is just unthinkable that a woman would be parting with some hundreds of dollars and equally placing her genitals in the hands of a stranger for a process that is considered to be painful. But then, the pain and money involved seem not to be sufficient enough to discourage many women; because today, thousands of them go for bikini area waxing now and then.
Bikini Area Waxing: Alternatives
We have earlier talked about shaving as one of the available and popular options for removing hair from your bikini area, but you need to know that apart from shaving, there are some alternatives to waxing that are painless too. One of such is the use of depilatory creams.
Veet is one of such hair removal creams that you can use in removing hairs from your bikini area. Veet, as with other depilatory creams, is not as expensive as waxing and you can use it at home without aid from anyone. It is equally painless too, and you don't have to worry about ingrown hairs on your bikini area.
The main disadvantage of using depilatory creams such as Veet is that it doesn't last long. Its hair removal is like shaving in that it is close to the skin's surface. In a matter of days, you would be set to apply the Veet or any other cream again.
Waxing The Bikini Area: Some Useful Tips
1. Being a first timer at waxing, you should not try to do it at home by yourself. Even if you have the wax strips, endeavor to visit the salon at least a few times before attempting to start waxing your bikini area at home. An expert can better handle any complication that may arise in the process than a newbie like you.
2. Waxing is best done when the hair has grown to at least 0.64 cm before attempting to wax and again; if it has overgrown the 1.3 cm, you would have to trim it so the pain can be minimized. Since you are doing this at a beauty salon, they can easily put you through on this.
3. It has been found beneficial to take anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen at least one hour before waxing your bikini area. This would, of course, minimize the post-waxing pain.
4. Make sure to go to the aesthetician on a comfortable and free panty as a very tight or abrasive one can hurt badly especially when the waxing is still less than 24 hours.
5. Perhaps the greatest of the tips is that you should patronize an expert for your bikini area waxing. You don't want to leave your private body part into the hands of an amateur.
Bikini Area Waxing: Dealing With Self-Consciousness
No doubt, you are going to become self-conscious as you enter the salon for your bikini waxing. The thought that a stranger is going to be having access to your supposed private body part may make you feel a bit uneasy. However, you should take consolation in the fact that a woman like yourself would be doing the waxing.
That aside, yours is not likely the first bikini the aesthetician would be waxing. She would have seen a lot in this regard, and you can be sure it would just be a purely professional thing. The most important thing is not to be like the proverbial coward who dies several times before his death.
Bikini Area Waxing : The Different Types
Yes, there are different categories or should we say styles of bikini area waxing depending on how much you can afford and maybe your taste plus the number of hairs to be removed.
There is the Bikini type or style which is generally regarded as the classic of all. This removes some hairs from the front and some below to make the whole thing look tidy. The waxing does not get to your knicker line in this type. Most first-timers settle for this type of bikini waxing.
Another bikini waxing style is called Brazilian waxing. That only leaves some strips of hair at the front while the hair below and even at the back are gotten rid of. The strips of hairs left at the front are usually minor, and the whole place would still look tidy with it.
Bikini Area Waxing: How It Is Done
Typically, the process begins with you signing some papers which would be presented to you by your therapist (as it is called). And after all necessary signatures have been appended and payments made, you are led to the waxing room and, of course, the door is shut leaving you and your therapist in there alone.
You would be asked to lie on a couch or bed and depending on the bikini waxing type you are opting for; you may be asked to remove your pants. But even at that, you need to know that only the Hollywood and Brazillian bikini waxing type would require that you remove your pants for it to be properly carried out. With the Bikini waxing, you can still keep your pants on.
In most cases, the therapists have plans to ensure that your modesty is not compromised while your bikini area is being waxed and you can discuss with whoever is tidying you up down there on what you feel is okay with you. Please note that where hot wax would be used which, of course, does not involve strips, it would be in your best interest to get rid of your pants.
The decision on where to start the waxing is entirely hers and most often, a hard but hot wax is used for bikini area waxing. The hard wax is first melted and cooled to a temperature that cannot irritate your genitals before it is applied. Soft waxes are not used because of the coarseness of the hair around the genital area. Using a soft wax would elicit more pain.
As she applies the wax with a spatula, she makes sure the skin is held taut, and she also gets either a strip or cloth to press down the warm wax to your skin. After a few seconds, the melted wax resolidifies and it is ready to be removed. This process is repeated until all areas of the bikini desired to become hairless becomes so. Where there are some stubborn individual hairs left after waxing, she removes them by tweezing.
As soon as all hairs are gotten rid of, the next thing your bikini handler would do is to apply some creams on the bikini area just waxed. This would offer some significant soothing effects from the just concluded process, and you can now get from the bed, dress up, and return home.
Bikini Area Waxing: The Embarrassing Moments
Well, the things that embarrass us individuals vary; but if we view bikini area waxing as a first-time experience you are having, here are some things you may find embarrassing and tips to get over them.
1. Having to appear uncovered before someone you don't know. If you are the shy type, this alone can clear the idea of waxing your bikini area in salons off your mind. But remember as we have said earlier that you aren't the first person whose bikini area would be waxed by your therapist. Even if you don't agree she has seen it all, she definitely has seen a lot. So, to her, yours is just another case. It's going to be professional. And again, it is your right to ask to be covered where possible.
2. She cannot carry out the job effectively without having to touch your genitals (the labia particularly). Of course, this isn't going to be a sensational touch, but you can imagine if she has to remove hairs on the vagina lips, it would be in your interest that she does some touchings. The same consolation for point 1 above suffices for this too. It's strictly professional, and after all, she's also a female like yourself.
3. You are likely to become more conscious about your body. Things like "I have a big butt," "I'm too busy down there," or "I am not that endowed" may start bothering you. The chances are that you never thought this way until now that you are aware someone may be seeing you the way you are. Well, you just have to take that off your mind and convince yourself before leaving home that your body is the best. You should adjust everything you feel can be adjusted though, but note that people view us the way we view ourselves.
4. Being your first time too, you may likely be apprehensive. You may find yourself having to shout or mumble some unintelligible utterances as the wax gets remove; the best thing to do here is to let nature run its course. There is nothing abnormal in that, and most salons expect such for a first-timer. However, to help yourself, you should take Ibruprofen (400 mg for adults) at least an hour before the process.
Bikini Area Waxing: Aftercare
It is normal to experience some minor inconvenience in the bikini area after waxing. That's because of the stimulation of the skin around the area. Also, you might notice that some areas down there are becoming red; you don't need to bother. It would go in a matter of two days at most.
But if you are feeling inconvenient, you can moisturize the area with organic aloe vera gel. It has a soothing effect that can take care of many of the after-waxing issues. Remember also that the first two days after waxing your bikini area is not the time to wear very tight and abrasive undies. You should look for soft and free shorts to keep yourself comfortable down there.
Bikini Area Waxing - Conclusion
Now you are aware of the things to expect should you decide to wax your bikini area. In a nutshell, this piece has among other things been able to give you tips on how the process is carried out; the possible embarrassment from having a third party look at and even handle your bikini area, and tips on overcoming the nervousness and others.
We've been able to inform you that in place of waxing, you can use depilatory creams such as Veet to remove hair from your bikini area. And that although this method may not last long as in waxing, you are in total of the process. For anyone not comfortable allowing a stranger access their bikini area, this is a perfect option to get the job done.
Reading through this piece would, therefore, mean that if you are still going to wax your bikini area, you aren't doing so out of ignorance. And if anything, that is the aim of this article. Good luck on your adventure!