One of the most powerful senses in the human body is the sense of smell and that is what aromatherapy is all about.
The smell of everything around us affects us one way or the other even when we’re not really conscious of it.
Aromatherapy makes use of natural essential oils and plant materials. These materials are either medicinal or not but have some form of scent. They’re usually either burned as incense, diffuse in bathing water, rubbed topically or even inhaled.
These plant materials and aromatic substances are believed to have healing powers. Especially in the areas of fatigue and pains, they’ve been used since ancient times. All the civilization has a record of this form of therapy and it has been passed down from generations to generations.
Examples of such civilizations include the Egyptian, Romans, Greeks, Arabs, Chinese, Indians and many more that were not recorded but today is a part of their cultural traditions.
Though there is no scientific researched evidence to prove the healing effect of these plant substances, many people that have used it have testifies that it is actually healing and a very good form of natural treatment to calm your nerves.
There are a lot of materials you can use for aromatherapy and they may include:
Usually extracted from flower petals using a solvent like ethanol. It’s oily and often highly concentrated. Absolute can be added to wax to make aromatherapy candles or soaked in fragrance materials that can be burned in charcoal or an incense burner.
2. Essential oil
These are usually extracted from plants and are believed to be very high in antioxidants. Scientifically proven, they’re good for you. They may include rosemary oil, eucalyptus oil and many more.
3. Carrier oil
These oils can be any simple topical oil, they are used to mix the aromatherapy extract in order to reduce its concentration for your skin application and massage.
These are plant materials, usually tannins, gum and back of high aroma-oil plants. They’re usually dry and preserve and are burned to release the aroma in them.
Benefits of aromatherapy candles
Candles are made from paraffin wax, but those made from natural by-products are preferred for aroma candles like soy wax, plant wax, bee wax or even hard fat. During production, aroma oils are added to the mix either in a small amount to create that mild gentle feel or in large amount to give that heavily scented feel.
Either way, you get to choose what makes you feel comfortable. Also, your mood and purpose can be a determinant.
Aromatherapy candles can be of great benefit to us psychologically. Like they say “medicine is for the body while aromatherapy is for the mind”. Also, aromatherapy is believed by both the ancient and modern people to have a lot of spiritual benefits. The body and mind must be well-taking care of for you to be whole.
Make sure you buy pure grade therapy candles. There are some made from the synthetic substance so you should look out for imitations.
Let me dive into the benefits of aromatherapy candles. Do know that these benefits may vary from one individual to another but you will definitely get something out of it.
1. Setting the vibe of the room
Aromatherapy candles can create a calm and peaceful vibe for your yoga meditation class and house. It can also give your house a classic beautiful look when used as a decor.
2. For Health: Different essential oil brings you different benefits
Depending on the essential oil infused during candle production, each has its own special proven benefits.
- Floral aroma candles remind you of the great outdoors and this feelings usually relaxes one and conjure up good memories.
- Mint and lemongrass infused candles help with flu and digestive upset. It relaxes the smooth muscles and makes you feel better.
- Lavender candles help your nervous system to relax and thereby relieving both your body and mind of the day’s stress.
- Eucalyptus and lemongrass aroma candles give you energy and improve the brain’s ability to focus and function properly.
Aromatherapy has also been used for severe medical conditions in patients with high blood pressure, stroke, and arthritis, mild to severe mental conditions and even in the treatments of cancer.
3. To create a romantic atmosphere
For you love birds out there, an aromatherapy lovely scented candle lit date can keep the romance burning for long. It is a memory that can always be recreated anytime you lit a candle!
Even if you don't want anything from the candles, the scent of the candles can act as a luxurious air freshener!
Best Aromatherapy Candles
There are so much aromatherapy candles out there for you that you get so confused when you’re out shopping. It makes you just wonder: is this okay? Is that well scented enough? That’s all going to be taken care of because we’re going to be listing some of the best aromatherapy candles out there you can buy without any hitches of doubt in you and it will work just perfectly well. Let’s take a look:
1. Tom Ford
If you love a mixture of aromas that will keep you relax and mesmerize you so then this is just right for you. With more than 5 different absolutes mixed into it, you can be sure that Tom Ford has done its magic right with such elegant scent. The candle heights at 5.7cm; is 21oz and has an estimated burning time of 40 hours.
2. Chesapeake Bay Candle Tangelo, Mimosa Filled Candle
Not only do they serve as beautiful decorative candles, but the Chesapeake Bay Candle is excellent in terms of products. The aroma of this candle, Tangelo Mimosa, is distinctive, relaxing and soft. You can try it since it only costs $17.45! That's a gift you can give yourself, isn't it?
3. Nest Holiday Classic Candle
NEST is a brand recognized for its quality, and this time I recommend the aroma of Grapefruit that includes notes of pink grapefruit that is also mixed with the lily of the valley and the coriander flower. Yes, as you can imagine, it's a delight.
To top it off, the design of the glass beaker is lovely too, ideal for decorating your home. If that doesn't convince you yet, then I will also mention that the duration of the candles is 50-60 hours. This is a necessary candle in any home.
4. Homesick Scented Candle, Virginia
These aromatic candles give off an incredible smell of pine and sandalwood, with a slight touch of rainfall. I know it might sound impossible, but it's true! They also last between 60 and 80 hours and are made of natural soy wax.
DIY Aromatherapy Candles Recipes
Aromatherapy candles can be pricey most times and this makes it a bit uncomfortable buying one when you’re on a budget. Here’s the thing, do you know that you can actually make your very own aromatherapy candles yourself? Yes, you can! And I’m going to be giving you some top recipes and complete DIY instructions for your aroma candles.
All you need is a wick, a wax and an absolute or essential oil of your choice and follow the simple instructions:
- Get a heat-resistant glass container you would want to use, wash and dry it in an oven.
- Get the wick (make sure to get the ones with metal collars) this will sit well in the glass jar bottom.
- Melt some wax in hot water and use it to hold the wick collar firm in the middle bottom of the glass.
- Now using a double boiling system, melt your wax flakes.
- Allow the wax to cool down to about 45-50 degree then add your essential oils or any other aroma of choice.
- Stir and pour into the jar you prepared bit leave about ¼ inches to full.
- You are all good to go when it all solidifies.
Safety when using aromatherapy candles
In as much as we love our aromatherapy and scented candles, we don’t want to be caught off guard. The process has to do with real fire so we should make sure to be safe while relaxing. Here are a few tips you must know before you strike that match:
- Make sure that all flammable materials are far away from the candle.
- Make sure the glass is not cracked and it’s heat resistant.
- Make sure to keep out of the reach of children.
- Make sure you don’t fall asleep for long while the candle is on.
- You do not have to keep it lited for a long time, once the aroma has filled the room, please blow off that candle and save it for next time.
You see that aromatherapy does well to your body and your spirit. Don’t wait any longer and follow the recipes and advice, I assure you that you will not regret it.