There is no end to the world of things that one tries out to make our skin more soft and supple. One rarely thinks twice before squandering off a fortune over the latest creams and lotions that come with tall promises of flawless skin and clear complexion. But do you have any idea about the variety of harsh chemicals you infuse into your skin for the sake of good looks? Drop everything right now and choose natural ingredients that are rich in antioxidants for skin? Not aware or do not know what antixidants are beneficial for the skin? Find out right now.
10 Super Antioxidant and their Benefits
Antioxidants are a way of life now with more and more skin care products adopting the potent compounds that work against oxidative damage and toxic free radicals. According to Dr. Mamelak of the world-renowned Sanova Dermatology, the skin cells in the body are exposed continuously to dangerous free radicals. These reactive radicals not only ruin the cellular structure of the skin but also tend to destroy the cellular wall and the DNA.
The skin care expert and cosmetic dermatologist, Dr. Hanson from Texas, says that it is of utmost importance to keep the 3 R's in mind for the health and beauty of the skin. These 3 R's are "Rebuild, Reflect, Restore." Rebuild and repair the skin collagen with vitamin A, Reflect the harmful UV rays of the Sun off your skin with the regular use of sunscreen, and Restore the cells of the skin to health and structural wellbeing with the generous use of antioxidants for skin.
So it all boils down to one-million-dollar question. What are the best antioxidants for skin? Enlisted below are the seven most powerfully and remarkable antioxidants that are indispensable for the skin. Check them out and get started with your beauty regimen right from today.
You can either look for skincare products that contain lycopene, or as Dr. Hanson recommends, to opt directly for the source of lycopene by eating papaya, grapefruit, and tomatoes for the health and beauty of the skin.
The consumption of foods rich in carotenoids aids in the prevention of cancer. Carotenoid is not just an incredible antioxidant for skin but is additionally known to strengthen blood vessels and help to prevent the deterioration of the muscles in the eyes.
3. Vitamin E
According to Dr. Hanson, Vitamin E is the most effective when taken in the form of fruits and vegetables and applied directly to the skin. Most skin care cosmetics showcase two types of Vitamin E: non-alcohol-based and alcohol-based Vitamin E. The alcohol-based Vitamin E gets absorbed all the more effectively into the skin.
5. Vitamin C
Vitamin C follows a two-way approach while counteracting skin problems. It acts as a powerful antioxidant besides being an excellent medium in boosting collagen production in the skin. Be that as it may, vitamin C is a remarkable antioxidant which works to preserve the health and beauty of the skin.
6. Ferulic Acid
7. Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)
One of the most potent super antioxidants for the skin is Astaxanthin. It belongs to the family of carotenoids and is present in crab, lobster, trout, shrimp, yeast, algae, and more. The most abundant source of this super antioxidant is the microalgae Haematococcuspluvialis.
The myriad benefits of Astaxanthin antioxidant for skin and other organs of the body include the following.
- Protection of the skin and prevention of dermatological disorders
- Protection of skin against the worst kind of oxidative damage on the skin
- Prevention and cure of anti-inflammatory responses.
- Regulation of blood sugar level and cure of diabetes
- Prevention of cardiovascular diseases
9. Green Tea
Green tea possesses a host of health benefits for the skin. You can drink green tea daily and use the freshly brewed tea as a constituent of homemade masks to make good use of the green tea antioxidants for skin. Some of its applications for the skin are:
- Green tea contains catechin compounds, EGCG, that help to fight against oxidative stress.
- Green tea helps to promote the repair of DNA and prevent skin cancer.
- It fights the signs of aging and keeps the skin soft and supple.
- The topical application of green tea masks on the skin helps to keep the skin moist and prevents the appearance of rough and dry patches and dermatological problems like eczema.
Turmeric has been in use for centuries for the natural protection of the skin.
- Turmeric possesses curcumin, a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound which fights against all kinds of dermatological disorders.
- The application of turmeric to the skin gives it a natural glow and protects the skin from infection with its potent antiseptic properties.
- You can prepare turmeric face packs at home to reap the turmeric antioxidant benefits and fight against acne and other blemishes.
Here you go, 10 antioxidants to consider adding in your diet that will enhance your skin quality not just from the outer application but also from bringing out your beauty from inside.