What Is An Empath?
Essentially, empathy is the ability to put oneself into another person’s shoes, and feel what someone else is feeling. You understand what your friends are going through, and their feelings and energy can be quite contagious, either affecting you positively or adversely. If you possess such qualities, you are probably an empath.
Types of Empaths
1. Claircognizant Empath
Claircognizant empaths have the all-encompassing gift of all-knowing. You understand the intricacies of the world and the meaning of our purpose and existence in life. You often get a sense of deja-vu and you may experience bursts of inspiration, constantly receiving and absorbing information throughout the day. You are quick-witted and intelligent. You don’t know why you seem to have the answers to everything, and why your friends keep coming to you, but they will describe you as sage and wise anyway.
2. Emotional empaths
You are very sensitive to the emotions of others, and you can feel other people’s emotional pain.
3. Physical Empath
You can feel people’s physical pain and ailments, and you instinctively know if someone is physically ill.
4. Fauna Empath
You are very attuned to the pain and suffering of animals, and you seek to prevent any pain or suffering, if possible. You know how to communicate with animals like the dog or cat whisperer. You would probably make a good vet or animal activist.
5. Geomantic empath
The word “Geo” means Earth. You are able to feel the aura/energy/vibe of a particular physical location or place, such as a beach or a cemetery. You may also feel an affinity for flora and greenery and you may feel emotionally affected when reading about deforestation in rainforests and destruction of wildlife habitats.
6. Medium Empath
Tarot readers and those who are drawn to the occult may fall into this category. Medium empaths have an intimate connection with the spiritual world, and they are able to sense unseen forces at work. They may be able to sense certain energies and auras, and they may be able to talk to the deceased. Because of this, medium empaths may have a tenuous grip on reality.
7. Psychometric Empath
Just by looking at a physical object, or ancient artifact, you would be able to derive useful and comprehensive information about it, as well as the memories and energy contained in the object. Whether it is an old earring, a yellowed/tattered photograph, or an abandoned wedding gown, you are able to analyze its origins.
8. Precognitive Empath
You may have prophetic visions and dreams, as well as a very strong sixth sense. Generally, your dreams will contain signs and symbols which can be used to interpret or predict events in the future. You are able to use your abilities to forewarn your friends about a bad premonition, whether it is an event or a place.
9. Telepathic Empath
Have you ever been told that you are a good mind reader? Do you know what your friend is going to tell you, even before they say a word? Chances are, you could be a telepathic empath. Telepathic empaths know what people are feeling and thinking even if they don’t vocalize their thoughts.
Being an empath is a rare gift, as only 15-20 percent of the world’s population are considered true empaths.
Questions to Ask Myself To Know if I’m An Empath
- Do I feel emotionally drained by other people’s emotions?
- Do I feel intense emotions which are uncontrollable at times?
- Do I need to recharge after talking to someone about their problems?
- Do I know what other people are feeling even without asking them?
- Can I sense the energy or vibes in a room?
- Does seeing someone hurting make me feel unwell as well?
- Do people often tell you that you are overly sensitive?
- Do I have a rich and complex inner world?
- Do bright lights, sounds, and scents overwhelm you?
What Are The Defining Characteristics Of An Empath?
1. People love to confide in you.
2. You feel emotions deeply and intensely when you see others suffering.
3. Often these emotional reactions manifest as somatic complaints such as stomachache, headache.
4. You enjoy solitude and consider yourself an introvert.
5. You have been told that you are a very sensitive soul.
6. You feel the need to help people all the time, sometimes even at the expense of yourself.
7. You have a premonition that something good or bad is going to happen.
8. You have a strong interest in humanitarian work or the social services sector./You are currently working as a social worker/nurse.
What is a Geomantic Empath?
A geomantic empath is extremely sensitive to his or her physical environments, and they are able to sense the aura surrounding a particular location or place. It is a bit like Fengshui, but you automatically know it in your heart without consulting any rule books. An abandoned and dilapidated hut may give you creepy vibes or emanate a bad aura. A church may give out very relaxing and comforting vibes.
How Do I Make The Most of Being a Geomantic Empath?
- You could take long walks in the garden or the beach in order to relax and unwind after a long day at work
- Take up gardening as a hobby or participate in eco-conservation projects such as tree replanting projects
- Opt for natural and organic materials such as cotton and hemp for clothing, and environmentally friendly fabrics for your furniture
- Grow plants around your house or use aromatherapy oils which contain natural scents
- Explore places of interest such as tourist destinations or places of worship to hone your geomantic empath abilities
Who Are Some of The Famous Empaths?
Ed Sheeran is a famous chart-topper and crooner, known for his songs about love, heartbreak, and life. Most of us are able to relate to his song lyrics in songs such as "Perfect" and "Castle on a hill", which resonate with many ardent fans very deeply.
Ed Sheeran's quote
“Be nice to everyone, always smile, and appreciate things because it could all be gone tomorrow.”
Nicole Kidman is a self-confessed empath, as she says that she is a very "highly sensitive person" She is regularly involved in charity work and often donates money to charity. United Nations nominated her as a "Citizen of the World" and she was appointed as an ambassador for UNICEF.
Nicole Kidman's quote
I would describe myself as emotional and highly strung. If something upsets me, it really upsets me. If something makes me angry, I get really angry. But it's all very upfront. I can't hide it. I'm also loyal and I hope I'm fun.
Nelson Mandela, the former president of South Africa, was heavily involved in politics from a young age. Under the African National Congress, he campaigned vigorously against laws that favored racially discriminative practices. Being a prominent human rights activist, he was arrested and thrown into jail several times and accused of treason. During his term as president, he founded the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and implemented many policies that helped to increase the standard of living for black people.
Nelson Mandela's quote
“What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.”
As a prolific talk show host and speaker, famous for her show "The Oprah Winfrey Show", she uses her fame to influence and inspire others. She is very empathetic when speaking to her audience members and other cast members. She is also very honest and transparent with her personal struggles which makes other people feel that they can connect with her.
Oprah Winfrey's quote
“Everybody has a calling. And your real job in life is to figure out as soon as possible what that is, who you were meant to be, and to begin to honor that in the best way possible for yourself.”
Do you think that you are an empath? If so, what kind of empath are you? Do you share many traits in common with other empaths? Do you know a friend who is an empath? A lot of us would feel empathetic if we know that our friends are going through a hard time, or we heard about bad news on the radio. But would we go the extra mile to help someone? Empaths are highly sensitive to other people's emotions and they feel emotions very deeply compared to the average person. However, they can use these traits to their advantage. If we all showed each other a bit more kindness, the world would be a better place.