Graduation day comes with a lot of emotions for grads and their families. This is a day of celebration and achievement, a reflection on a journey packed with challenges, trials, failures, and successes as well as a time for hope for the future. Whether your relative or friend is graduating from high school or college, you’ll need the perfect words for the occasion and sometimes you just can’t seem to find the right words to write on a card. Well, we have you covered, here are 20 quotes that will help you express yourself, motivate and inspire your graduate.
Funny Inspirational Graduation Quotes
Quotes with little humor are the best way to go to put a smile on the face of your graduate, especially if they have a great sense of humor or are nervous on their great day.
1. ‘‘I learned law so well, the day I graduated I sued the college, won the case, and got my tuition back."
This is a popular graduation quote by Fred Allen, that adds a little fun note to this big day. It’s great for someone graduating law school of any graduate with a great sense of humor.
2. ‘‘Of course there’s a lot of knowledge in universities: the freshmen bring a little in; the seniors don’t take much away, so knowledge sort of accumulates.’’
Another funny quote to which most grads can relate, it summarizes a typical college experience in a fun way. This quote is bound to bring a smile on every grads face.
3. ‘‘If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right’’.
From an unknown author, this quote has a ring of truth it. The words urge us to embrace life and make the most out of every single day. Very appropriate for someone entering into a new phase of life.
4. ‘‘Life is an improvisation. You have no idea what’s going to happen next and you are mostly just making things up as you go along.’’
From Steve Colbert, these words may be funny but they’re deep, the quote is ideal for young adults that are still figuring out their way in life.
Short Inspirational Graduation Quotes
Sometimes the best way to go is to keep it short, these are a few short words that convey a lot of wisdom.
5. ‘‘If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.’’
By Milton Berle this quote is simply inspirational, it will remind grads that they have to be persistent as they navigate through life.
6. ‘‘Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.’’
A famous quote by the motivational speaker Les Brown, encouraging graduates to aim high and go for their dreams.
7.‘‘Wherever you go, go with all your heart’’.
A very short quote by Confucius that sets the tone on how to approach life in general, these are great words for grad day.
8. "Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
Robert Louis Stevenson’s life advice that is always relevant not just for graduates but to each and every one of us.
Famous Inspirational Graduation Quotes
What better way to go than to get inspiration from famous people who seem to always know what to say on such occasions.
9. ‘‘Nothing builds self-esteem and self- confidence like accomplishment’’
Word’s by the great Thomas Carlyle, it’s an ideal quote to write on a congratulatory card or note for grad day.
10. "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
Wise words from Ralph Waldo Emerson, this quote has been used so many times to inspire people to move forward in life and be optimistic about the future despite the past and the present.
11. "Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today."
Powerful and inspirational words by Malcolm X, this great quote points out the importance of education and preparation. Graduates will appreciate this quote on their special day.
12. "Do or do not. There is no try."
A short but profound quote from Yoda that will inspire young graduates to go for whatever they want wholeheartedly.
Congratulatory Graduation Quotes
13. "Don't strive to make your presence noticed, just live to make your absence felt!" Congratulations
From an unknown author, these are encouraging words that graduates will appreciate on a note, card or cake on their special day.
14. ‘’To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight – and never stop fighting’’. Congratulations on winning this fight.
A quote by E.E. Cummings, it’s perfect for those moments when you are short of words for a loved one's graduation and need a little help with words.
15. The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. Best wishes on your graduation.
This quote is all about service and playing a part in making the world a better place than we met it.
16. Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. Congratulations on your newest achievement.
Words of encouragement by AA. Milne, they will be highly appreciated by a graduate on their final day of school and as they embark on a new journey.
Motivational Graduation Quotes
The right quote can go a long way to motivate and inspire a graduate as they step out into the world, your note or card could serve as a reminder long after graduation day, so it’s necessary to choose the right words. Here are some quotes to get you going.
17. ''You will find true success and happiness if you have only one goal. There really is only one, and that is this: To fulfill the highest, most truthful expression of yourself as a human being. You want to max out your humanity by using your energy to lift yourself up, your family, and the people around you.''
A strong motivational quote from the queen of Tv Oprah Winfrey, who is known for her inspiring words and amazing outreach. These words are profound and summarise the true essence of life and a person purpose.
18. ‘’The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.’’
Words of truth and wisdom by Louis L’Amour, this quote will motivate anyone to focus on what really matters in life. It’s an awesome quote to remind a young graduate of what they should focus on as they journey through life.
19. Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here.
Neil Gaiman wrote this quote to motivate us to explore, take chances and spread our wings as we go through life. These are words that will resonate with a graduate as they close a chapter in their lives and step into the unknown.
20. "We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right."
Nelson Mandela used this quote to urge people to do what is right, it has been used so many times by world leaders like Barack Obama and others in speeches and call to action to motivate. If you send this to a graduating relative or friend, they will highly appreciate it.
When you’re at a loss of words go for quotes, if you pick the right quote for the right occasion, you can’t go wrong. Check out our list of funny, inspirational and motivational quotes and choose the one that speaks to you or appeals to the graduate on their big day. Feel free to use as many as you like to share some wisdom and send your message across.