Dad’s Top Rules For Dating Their Daughters
The relationship between a dad and his daughter is very special and delicate which is why dads always struggle when their daughters start dating, as it means that you will no longer be her only prince charming. Time travels so fast that most dads are caught unaware, but you don’t have to worry if you belong in such a group as the following are some the rules you can use when your daughter starts dating.
Serious Dating Rules
1. No PDA
This is one of the things that really make your blood to boil – the audacity! No father wants to see a boy being all over his baby girl. This means there should be very little to no public display of affection. Even when they are in her room, there should be no cuddling or even kissing as that is the last thing a dad would want to see and it’s disrespectful, to say the least.
2. Always keep the door open
This is a no brainer. The door should always be open as you don’t want the boy to start getting funny ideas that you might not want to imagine. With the door always wide open they will not try anything fishy and the boy will keep his hands to himself because the last thing he wants is to test your patience.
3. Have respect
This is very important as it determines if the whole relationship survives. You have brought up your daughter in a conscientious manner teaching her to respect other people; this is why you should ensure that she also gets treated with the respect that she deserves.
4. Obey all the rules and curfews
For this kind of a relationship to work, rules must be obeyed at all times. The last you want is for two teenagers to be doing whatever they want and however they feel like. Obeying the rules you have laid out is not an option but a must. If, for example, the boy is late to bring your daughter home, he should not pick her up again and this will show them you are serious. Curfews are very important and they are to be observed at all times with the only exception being when they are out with an adult like you or the mom.
5. Keep the relationship in perspective
You should always remind them that they should not get carried away with the relationship they are having. Teenagers are easily carried away and they can forget where they are. They should not have any talks about the future as they should first concentrate on having a good time and finishing school. It’s not healthy for them to be too absorbed with what is happening as they are still dependent on their parents.
Funny Dating Rules
6. Be in crowded public places at all times
The last thing you would want is to have your daughter alone with a boy in quiet, comfortable, and dimly lit areas as their imagination will definitely run wild. Being in crowded public places at all times when they out ensures that they don’t get too comfortable and start having funny ideas that might lead to broken hearts and regrets. It is your duty as a father to protect your baby girl as things such as early pregnancies and STDs are real.
7. Make my daughter cry and I'll make you cry
This sends a very clear message – hurt my daughter and I will make you pay. Most teenagers are never serious and it’s easy for your daughter to be taken advantage of by a boy. This is why you should make it clear to the boy that he should keep off your little girl if he is not serious about dating her and there will be serious consequences if anything bad happens to your daughter.
8. Get a job
This is a hilarious but a necessary one! The boy will want to be taking your daughter out once in a while this rule ensures that he becomes responsible. The last thing you want is your daughter to end up with a spoilt brat. When your daughter’s date has a job and keeps it you know that he is someone you can trust to take care of your girl the way she deserves.
9. Lie to me at your own risk as I will find out
All types of relationships require honesty and you should ensure that this is very clear. You don’t want your daughter being with someone who lies to you about anything. Letting the boy know that there will be consequences if he ever lies to you about anything helps to set the boundaries. A boy who will lie to you will also lie to your daughter and will probably hurt her in one way or another.
10. I’m everywhere
This makes them think twice before doing anything that they might live to regret. This is very important especially when they are out of the house as that’s when they start getting crazy ideas. Letting the boy know you have eyes everywhere will keep them grounded and ensure that your daughter comes back home as innocent as she left.
Quotes on Daddy Dating Rules
1. “Fathers, be your daughter’s 1st love. Open doors for her, pull her seat out, & talk to/treat her with the utmost respect… Set expectations on how a man should treat a lady, and she’ll never settle for less.”
2. “I may seem quiet and reserved but if you mess with my daughter I will break out a level of crazy that will make your nightmares seem like a happy place.”
3. “Having a daughter makes you see things in a different way. This is my only girl. So I don’t I care what it takes to protect her. You can call it what you want to call it. As long as you treat her the same way I treat her, like my princess, I don’t mind.”
4. “There’s something like a gold thread running through a man’s words when he talks to his daughter, and gradually over the years it gets to be long enough for you to pick up in your hands and weave into a cloth that feels like love itself.”
John Gregory Brown
5. “The father of a daughter is nothing but a high-class hostage. A father turns a stony face to his sons, berates them, shakes his antlers, paws the ground, snorts, runs them off into the underbrush, but when his daughter pus her arm over his shoulder and says, ‘Daddy, I need to ask you something,’ he is a pat of butter in a hot frying pan.”
6. “Certain is it that there is no kind of affection so purely angelic as of a father to a daughter. In love to our wives there is desire; to our sons, ambition; but to our daughters, there is something which there are no words to express.”
7. “They say that from the instant he lays eyes on her, a father adores his daughter. Whoever she grows up to be, she is always to him that little girl in pigtails. She makes him feel like Christmas. In exchange, he makes a secret promise not to see the awkwardness of her teenage years, the mistakes she makes or the secrets she keeps.”
8. “You might never know a man’s vulnerable place until you see him with his daughter, because with her, he seem capable of more human emotions than he will ever share with anyone else.”
9. “You fathers will understand. You have a little girl. She looks up to you. You’re her oracle. You’re her hero. And when the day comes when she gets her first permanent wave and goes to her first real party, and from that day on, you’re in a constant state of panic.”
Stanley T. Banks
10. “A father… knows exactly what those boys at the mall have in their depraved little minds because he once owned such a depraved little mind himself. In fact, if he thinks enough about the plans that he used to have for young girls, the father not only will support his wife in keeping their daughter home but might even run over to the mall and have a few of those boys arrested.”
When your daughter starts dating, there are very few things you can control as a father no matter how hard you would want to; for instance, you cannot control who she likes. This does not, however, mean that you are helpless and that you should sit around and watch as there are things you can do to ensure that your daughter safely navigates through the dating phase. Having some of the above rules ensures that your daughter enjoys her teen years and she is safe.