The Pain of Unrequited Love
"Love hurts," says a very popular song and that's especially true for those who have experimented unrequited love. There's nothing more painful than caring for someone who doesn't feel the same way about you. It can definitely leave you feeling hurt and maybe a little bit crazy for having those feelings. It's just that sometimes when Cupid makes its appearance. he shoots and misses because he hits the wrong person. This is not a rare occurrence, unrequited love is something that has happened to all of us, right? So if it is happening to you right now, don't worry, you're not alone.
Love is not easy, and most often than not, it's not all that's cracked up to be. Sometimes it just happens and it leaves you vulnerable. You meet someone and you start spending lots of time with this person, you get to know him and he gets to know you, you open up for him and hope starts to blossom, you're falling in love. You realize that you'll do anything for him and you decide to tell him. That's when things go south because he doesn't feel that same way about you.
Rejection really hurts, you can't understand why he doesn't see that yours would have been an amazing love story. That's the painful truth of unrequited love, all those feelings are only yours. This is when you start to question yourself, you may wonder if something's wrong with you. It's very tempting during this hurtful period to pick yourself apart, you know looking for all the flaws that are making you unlovable. It's just one of the ways we deal with the pain of being rejected because it's hard to accept that the chemistry you thought was off the charts, just wasn't there in the end.
With unrequited love, you experiment a lot of unpleasant emotions, it's like a cycle You go from hopefulness, you know all those strategies you formulate to ignite a romantic relationship... once this fails and you're rejected, this feeling is accompanied by sadness, anxiety, anger, resentment, and shame. Unrequited love likes to partner up with a feeling of longing and that could be dangerous to your mental health because it can take over your emotions and taint your reality. It's a struggle to get those out your mind.
Unrequited love hurts, some studies suggest that being rejected by someone you love activates the same areas in the brain as physical pain. But don't despair, there are ways you can cope with this pain.
3 ways to deal with unrequited love
When love isn't reciprocated you can go various routes, you can wallow in your pain and just let yourself go or you can try to snap out of it by following these tips:
1. Let it all out
When all those feelings overwhelm you, it's better to let them out. You can do that by talking to a trusted friend who'll lend you a sympathetic ear. Talk to them about what you're feeling and all the roller coaster of emotions you're going through. Getting all that out of your chest can be a huge relief.
2. Accept your feelings
Not all the feelings accompanying unrequited love are negative like we said it's a roller coaster of feelings, so don't judge them, just accept them as they come. Notice when you feel them and then let them pass. You can write them down too, that's very helpful.
3. Seeking solace in others who understand
Unrequited love is the theme of many stories and novels and music and poems, it's like what would the art and entertainment world do without unrequited love stories? These stories inspired many people to write books and plays and songs and quotes about them. Sometimes this is just what you need. By seeking solace in words or songs or quotes written by others who understand and seem to know your pain, you feel less lonely, you know that there are people out there who get what you're going through and that in itself is a comfort.
Maybe you're still struggling with the hurt and the pain of being rejected, but something about the words and what they portray gives you hope that you'll see the sun come up in the near future.
Keep reading to find inspiration to start mending your broken heart with these unrequited love quotes.
20 Unrequited Love Quotes
Loving someone who doesn't love you back is crushing, you teetered between hope that he'll see the light of day and love you back, and despair that that is never going to happen. Just know that every experience with love, be that happily ever after or unrequited love is a learning experience if you give yourself a chance to see it that way.
In the meantime, we invite you to find commiseration and that much needed solace in these unrequited love quotes. Ones are going to hit the spot and center on your pain but others will give you reassurance and a little bit of hope.
Heart wrenching pain
1. "To burn with desire and keep quiet about it is the greatest punishment we can bring on ourselves" - Federico García Lorca
2. "When you loved someone and had to let them go, there will always be that small part of yourself that whispers, "What was it that you wanted and why didn't you fight for it?" - Shannon L. Alder
3. "Living with someone you love can be lonelier than living entirely alone, if the one that you love doesn't love you." - Tennesse Williams
4."The worst feeling is falling for someone and knowing that they won't be there to catch you." _Rashida Rowe
5. "Sometimes no matter how many eyelashes or dandelion seed you blow, no matter how much of your heart you tear out and slap on your sleeve, it just ain't gonna happen." -Melissa Jensen
6. "Because if you could love someone, and keep loving them, without being loved back... then that love had to be real. It hurt too much to be anything else." -Sarah Cross
7. "There is nothing so mortifying as to fall in love with someone who does not share one's sentiment." -Georgette Heyer, Venetia
8. "You have never loved me as I love you -- never -- never! Yours is not a passionate heart -- your heart does not burn in a flame! You are, upon the whole, a sort of fay, or sprite -- not a woman!" -Thomas Hardy, Jude the Obscur
9. "The sun's gone dim, and the moon's turn black; For I love him, and he didn't love me back." -Dorothy Parker
10. "To want and not to have, sent all up to her body a hardness, a hollowness, a strain. And then to want and not to have -- to want and want -- how that wrung the heart, and wrung it again and again!" -Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse
Recovering and letting go
11. "Let no one who loves is called altogether unhappy. Even love unreturned has its rainbow." -J.M. Barrie
12. I have to admit, unrequited love is so much better than a real one. I mean, it's perfect... As long as something is never even started, you never have to worry about it ending. It has endless potential." Sarah Dressen
13. "The heart is stubborn. It holds onto love despite what sense and emotion tell it. And it is often, in the battle of all those three, the most brilliant of all." -Alessandra Torre
14. "Never fall in love with someone that won't fight for you because when the real battles begin they won't pull your heart to safety, but they will their own." -Shannon L. Alder
15. "Though these words will never find you, I hope that you knew I was thinking of you today... and that I was wishing you every happiness. Love always, The girl you loved once." -Renata Suzuki
16. "Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart." -Washington Irving
17. "Too many of us are hung up on what we don't have, can't have or won't ever have. We spend too much energy being down when we could use that same energy --if not less of it -- doing, or at least trying to do, some of the things we really want to do." -Terry McMillan, Disappearing Acts
18. "Perhaps unrequited love was a specter in the house, a presence that brushed at the edge of senses, a heat in the dark, a shadow under the sun." Sherry Thomas
19."Maybe one day you'll understand that hearts don't intend to break other hearts." -Marisa Donnely
20. "Because by immortalizing the pain of my unrequited love I am letting you go. This is me moving on the only way I know how." -Theresa Mariz
Unrequited love is that exquisite pain that you feel when you love someone who's not willing or can't, love you back, It hurts and it feels like you're drowning but it can also be a learning experience from which you can rise victorious. Give yourself a chance and seek solace on those who can understand what you're going through and can help you.